A traditional rich Goan dessert, Bebinca is a must have at any celebration be it a birth, wedding, Christmas or Easter! Traditional Bebinca has 16 layers, but you can make as many as you like.
- 250 gms plain flour
- 700 ml coconut milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 dozen egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups ghee (clarified butter)
- Mix the coconut milk and sugar together and stir till the sugar is completely dissolved.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks till creamy.
- Add the coconut milk and mix well.
- Add all the flour to this, a little at a time, making sure that no lumps are left.
- Pre-heat your grill.
- Put a tablespoonful of ghee in a baking pan (any shape) at least 6" deep. Put this pan under the grill till the ghee melts.
- Take it out from under the grill and pour some of the prepared batter into it to form a 1/4" thick layer. Put back under the grill and cook till the top is golden. Monitor frequently.
- Remove from under the grill and immediately add another tablespoonful of ghee on the previous layer. It will melt.
- Now pour another layer of batter of the same thickness as the previous one. Cook under the grill till golden.
- Keep repeating the layering process till all the batter is used up.
- Cut into slices and serve warm or cool.